Does your child love creating and making? Would they like to learn to sew or build on their existing sewing skills?
Fun with Fabric is our after school sewing class for 8 - 10-year-olds. We run the classes during term time on Wednesday afternoons from 4 pm to 6 pm at the Sew La Di Da Sewing School, at the Lyme Regis Town Mill.
Wednesday afternoons: 4 pm – 6 pm, 6 spaces available.
Our weekly ‘Fun with Fabric’ classes are a highly enjoyable way for children to learn how to sew. We start with crafts like bunting, cushions and stuffed animals to familiarize the students with the sewing machine. We quickly move on to customizing and up-cycling garments, which can involve sewing, applique and embellishing with patches and hand or machine embroidery. Before long, we move on to making a simple skirt, culottes and t-shirts all using stretch fabrics or simple cotton. We theme the projects to the time of year.
Support is on hand to tackle machine stitching, and all of our sewing machines have a speed control allowing budding sewists to take things at their own speed. We keep group sizes small to ensure that everyone receives the tuition they need to make projects, garments that they can be proud of.
The classes allow for creativity and imagination to express themselves with fabric and sewing.
Students will learn
- How to thread a sewing machine
- Using a sewing machine to sew straight lines and curves
- Upcycling clothes, embellishing with stitching, applique, patches and embroidery
- Making simple skirts, culottes and t-shirts
We provide patterns and fabrics can be purchased at the class and can be paid for by cash or card at the end of each class.
What to bring:
- Fabric (or purchase from our fabric shop from £6 per metre, we would recommend a good quality cotton fabric for most beginners patterns)
What is included:
- 2 hours of tuition a week
- Free access to scrap box when necessary, paper and scissors.
- Sewing Patterns when needed.
Upper Stable Block,