Does your child love creating and making? Would they like to learn to sew or build on their existing sewing skills?
After School Textiles is our after school sewing class for 9- 16 year-olds. We run the classes during term time on Wednesday and Thursdays afternoons from 4 pm to 6 pm at the Sew La Di Da Sewing School, at the Lyme Regis Town Mill.
Wednesday, Thursdays afternoons: 4 pm – 6 pm, spaces available.
Our weekly ‘After School Textiles classes are a highly enjoyable way for budding designers to learn how to sew and design. We start with simple projects to enable them to familiarise the students with the sewing machine. We quickly move on to customizing and up-cycling garments, which can involve sewing, applique and embellishing with patches and hand or machine embroidery. Before long, we move on to making a simple skirt, culottes and t-shirts all using stretch fabrics or simple cotton. We theme the projects to the time of year.
Support is on hand to tackle machine stitching, and all of our sewing machines have a speed control allowing budding sewists to take things at their own speed. We keep group sizes small to ensure that everyone receives the tuition they need to make projects, garments that they can be proud of.
The classes allow for creativity and imagination to express themselves with fabric, sewing, and design.
As we progress I encourage the students to plan their wardrobe making, considering fabrics, style and wearability.
Students will learn
- How to thread a sewing machine
- Using a sewing machine to sew straight lines and curves
- Upcycling clothes, embellishing with stitching, applique, patches and embroidery
- Making simple skirts, culottes and t-shirts
We provide patterns and fabrics can be purchased at the class and can be paid for by cash or card at the end of each class.
What to bring:
- Fabric (or purchase from our fabric shop from £6 per metre, we would recommend a good quality cotton fabric for most beginners patterns) or please bring you're own fabric and sewing pattern. If you need guidance before the start of term please e mail or better still ring me on 07707811114 to discuss projects.
What is included:
- 2 hours of tuition a week
- Free access to scrap box when necessary, paper and scissors.
- Sewing Patterns when needed.
Upper Stable Block,
Caroline is a creative treasure who helps my daughter to sew all her sartorial dreams! Fabulous workshops for children.
My 13yr old daughter loves her Sewladida lessons. She’s already made a pair trousers, halter neck top and is going on to her first dress. She is learning wonderful skills that she can use for the rest of her life. Caroline is such an inspiring teacher and I can’t recommend Sewladida enough!
Caroline’s enthusiasm, skills and nurturing ways with her students know no bounds. Our daughter loves her sewing sessions in this funky attic setting. We are very privileged to have SewLaDiDaVintage close by.
An excellent teacher who’s enthusiasm is infectious to her pupils ! A wonderful experience with a nurturing environment.
My daughter loves going to sewing club and has made some lovely items! She adores Caroline! They all do! More than a sewing teacher! ♥️