Are you interested in fashion? Would you like to be able to make your own clothes?
Our Experimenting with Fashion classes gives you the chance to work on projects you choose as you learn the fundamentals of sewing and making clothes. The classes will enable you to get hands-on with fabric and sewing machines to learn new skills and become more confident in your abilities.
Thursday afternoons: 4 pm – 6 pm, 6 spaces available.
At the beginning of each 6-week term, we advise getting in touch with Caroline to discuss your next project!
You are encouraged to work on your own projects at your own pace – We have a collection of patterns you can use or you can bring your own with you. Most of our students start with skirts, learning pockets, hems, waistbands and facings. We will explore how to follow and read a pattern so you can feel confident sewing independently in no time. We will also show you how to ensure a correct fit and point out different options to customise the clothes you make to suit your own personality and style.
It’s a great idea to develop a scrap/sketch book, to encourage and explore style, colour, shapes.
Even if you have never used a sewing machine before, you will become confident with machine stitching. All of our sewing machines have a speed control allowing you to take things at your own speed. We keep group sizes small to ensure that everyone receives the tuition they need to make garments they can be proud of.
Students will learn how to
- Read and follow patterns
- Hem edges
- Add zips and fastenings including buttonholes
- Fit sleeves
- Use facings to give garments shape
- Add shirring
- Add collars
Sewing Patterns are included and fabrics can be purchased at the class and can be paid for by cash or card at the end of each class.
What to bring:
- Fabric (or purchase from our fabric shop from £7 per metre, we would recommend a good quality cotton fabric for most beginners patterns)
- 2 hours of tuition a week
- Free access to scrap box when necessary, paper and scissors.
- Sewing Patterns – we have a database of sewing patterns however if you would like something specific we can purchase in advance for you!
Upper Stable Block,